Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Announcement: Hi-Fi 4 Sale event - 2pm-6pm Saturday 17 September 2011, CMY Audio, Sunway Giza Mall, Kota Damansara

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Will You Be Able to Make It? 2pm-6pm, Sat 17 Sept 2011, CMY Audio, Sunway Giza Mall, Kota Damansara

50% 50% 
[ 12 ]
33% 33% 
[ 8 ]
17% 17% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 24

Announcement: Hi-Fi 4 Sale event - 2pm-6pm Saturday 17 September 2011, CMY Audio, Sunway Giza Mall, Kota Damansara

Post by WongKN on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:29 pm

The admin has been super busy with work recently and seeing that the date is getting a bit too near for comfort. I would like to make a PRE-announcement.

Our much talked about HiFi4sale event will be held next Saturday, September 17th 2011, after lunch. Venue is somewhere in Kota Damansara.

For full details, please wait for the official announcement by the admin. I just want to help ensure all who are interested have ample notice so that you can make arrangements to your schedules in order to attend this event. We believe it will be a very interesting and useful event for everyone.
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Re: Announcement: Hi-Fi 4 Sale event - 2pm-6pm Saturday 17 September 2011, CMY Audio, Sunway Giza Mall, Kota Damansara

Post by fizi on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:23 am

only can make it this weekend to KL Sad if i not mistaken already 3rd time but still cannot make it....
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1228
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Re: Announcement: Hi-Fi 4 Sale event - 2pm-6pm Saturday 17 September 2011, CMY Audio, Sunway Giza Mall, Kota Damansara

Post by JediSavant on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:14 am

hmmmm.... near to home too....
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Character sheet
Source(s): RegaPlanar3 w DenonDL103
Amplification: Exposure 2010s2
Speakers: SonusFaberToyTower

Back to top Go down

Post by whwong on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:18 am

Would like to join, however, travelling that week, passed! When's the next ???

whwong
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2010-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:18 am

Thanks, WongKN.

The main purpose of the event is to have a get-together and have some fun by sharing our journey with Computer Audio systems (CAS).

It is not meant to be a 'this is the best way to do CAS' kind of thing, as the more we learn, the more we seem to think there's a lot more to be discovered. Instead, we're just presenting some preliminary background on CAS, basic knowledge, and of course, actual listening sessions in a controlled setup.

CMY Audio have graciously made available their Sunway Giza venue for this meet, so it should be a nice place for audio, food and catching-up with one another. There's plenty of makan places within walking distance, so we can always have lunch, say 1230pm b4 we start the session proper.

What's in store?
Simple MacMini setup - running iTunes in both Apple OSX Snow Leopard & Windows 7 (via Boot Camp)
connected to Brik Audio DAC, Cambridge Audio DACMagic II & Wadia 381i CD player/DAC in sequence
Adding BitPerfect into the picture
Sound check by comparing CAS/Wadia 381i with Wadia 381i CD playback

Then, for those who want more, we take things a little further with the special appearance of our wonderful guest, Jo Ki, who will be connecting his preferred media player to the same Wadia 381i and show what a little more effort, trial and error, experience, discipline & dough can do to improve sound quality.

Again, we must emphasise that it is a journey. Of course, some of the H4S folks could very well be ahead of us and that is not an issue at all. The main thing is that CAS is an upward trend and the best way to get on the bandwagon is to avoid the early mistakes & U-turns...hahaha.

Another item, not confirmed as yet, is we're trying to get another well-known H4S member here to setup a Clearaudio turntable as a form of sanity check to put the differences in CAS into perspective. We'll leave you guessing who this guy really is. Very Happy

Last but not least, it's going to be a win-win-win situation. CMY Audio are going to do some one-day specials just for this H4S event. For one, to get newbies started on CAS, the Brik Audio DAC will be...offered at a very special price.

Commercial Break:
You can also count the CA DacMagic II, Wadia 381i in. Basically, whatever is in the CMY store on that day, if you are keen, there is no better time to talk to the CMY folks than on the 17 of Sept 2011. They will do their best to make things happen, including turntables, speakers, amps, cables, accessories & software.

Whatever the outcome, let's have some fun, catch up and get to know one another better.

Last edited by Hi-Fi 4 Sale on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers: SF Toy Tower

http://www.hifi4sale.net

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:51 am

I will be going but not the full 1230 to 6. Have the relatives obligatory raya open houses to attend hehehehe. Most probably will be there at 4 pm.

I will be in a tight red blouse, short black leather skirt and high heels. Feel free to say hi.Smile

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): ClearAudio and Lenco L78 TT, MF M1 ViNL, SONY MD, Oppo HA-1, SONY HAP Z1 ES
Amplification: MF M6i Integrated Amp, KW500 Supercharger
Speakers: ProAc Response D18, PMC Twenty LCR, SVS Sub, Denon X6200W AVR

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Dear All,

Firstly, TQ HF4S in inviting me to share what little knowledge I have on CAS. I am still learning, which is a continuous process and hence it is by no means absolute and/or conclusive.

Again, I must illiterate that I do not know everything about CAS; there are a lot more of you here knows more than me on this technology. This is because I am not concern with its very technology; my concerned lies in the process of retrieving digital data for music in the least compromising level that I can live with and for music listening and yielding one of its benefits of continuous playing for choral program that runs into 3 CDs for example. Sort of saying that "A good cat is a cat that catches mouse" and I don't really care what the biological make-up is the cat.

While the subject topic deals with Computer Audio System, I belong to the few that do not believe in computer hardware could be made to do music well enough to replace my dedicated yet able CD player. On the other hand,there are plenty of methods and ways about using your laptop, computer system to stream HiRes digital music files, and some program does provide amazing improvement over the standard OS in this regards; they offers good options for us to get a first handed experiences of such, and I welcome those products.

What I am going to demonstrate also is how sensitive they are to external mechanical interference drawing reference to those of turntable in LP playback, its mechanical science for it to works well. Digital media require as much understanding and its inclusion. There is no written articles about this available anywhere, so I am trying to cover a bit of this on that day. I hope what I am preparing in sharing is worthwhile for your time.

Regards,

Jo Ki
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:09 pm

jokiarch wrote:Dear All,

While the subject topic deals with Computer Audio System, I belong to the few that do not believe in computer hardware could be made to do music well enough to replace my dedicated yet able CD player.

Regards,

Jo Ki

I too am one of the few.
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2009-10-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers: Genelec

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:25 pm

DrWho,

Looking forward to see you there too.
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Will spread this news to my friends. Looking forward to the event.
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:19 pm

As mentioned above,hoping some 'veteran' CAS practitioner from hf4s to attend too as their input will be invaluable Very Happy See you guys...
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:23 pm

DrWho wrote:

While the subject topic deals with Computer Audio System, I belong to the few that do not believe in computer hardware could be made to do music well enough to replace my dedicated yet able CD player.

Regards,

Jo Ki

I too am one of the few.
Dear DrWho,

I am glad I have you on my side as I see myself alone swimming in the computer geek infested HF4S-sea flying flags of computer machine doing well enough for HiRes.

When HF4S approached me to do one such event, I agree on the basis that it will be a common learning ground, but as I think deeper, I realised that I may have agreed a little too early. Now I cannot back down What a Face .

Still, I think I shall demonstrate what I believe. By no means I am trying to teach or challenge anyone here. I hope where I am coming from sincerely meets with equally sincere heart.

DrWho, it was my pleasure to have the chance to listen to your system recently, and your amazing collections. Truly eyes and ears opener! I love you

Jo Ki
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Hi-Fi 4 Sale wrote:DrWho,

Looking forward to see you there too.

This would be such an interesting event. Barring unforeseen circumstances I will see you there.
If I may, on behalf of our fellow forumers I would like to thank you for taking so much effort and time to organize this event Very Happy
I am confident that it would be a success.
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:13 am

How do you define CAS?

1. Physically running from a computer? ie a laptop needs to be on
2. Files processed by a software or hardware?ie iTunes, Foobar, soundcard?
3. Playback of digital files in its virgin recording? Ie music already recorded in high rez.
4. Files processed by a DAC? Ie upsampling

After a few years of meddling around with CAS, my preference is music files, recorded in high rez, stored on a hard disk/NAS and can be played back by a media player.

What do I have now?

A mixture of high rez files and files at MP3/ALAC/FLAC quality, stored on 2 TB NAS, streamed wired to a CLiC music controller, upsampled to 192kHz.

Now, is this CAS since I eliminated the physical computer part in my system?

Character sheet
Source(s): ClearAudio and Lenco L78 TT, MF M1 ViNL, SONY MD, Oppo HA-1, SONY HAP Z1 ES

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:24 am

jokiarch wrote:
Dear DrWho,

I am glad I have you on my side as I see myself alone swimming in the computer geek infested HF4S-sea flying flags of computer machine doing well enough for HiRes.

When HF4S approached me to do one such event, I agree on the basis that it will be a common learning ground, but as I think deeper, I realised that I may have agreed a little too early. Now I cannot back down What a Face .

Still, I think I shall demonstrate what I believe. By no means I am trying to teach or challenge anyone here. I hope where I am coming from sincerely meets with equally sincere heart.

DrWho, it was my pleasure to have the chance to listen to your system recently, and your amazing collections. Truly eyes and ears opener! I love you

Jo Ki

Jo Ki,

This event is all about sharing and I can't think of a better and more qualified person than you to share with us.

It was also my pleasure to have you audioning my setup. My good friend Mr Gan would be in touch with you soon to request for a visit to your place. Smile
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:53 am

jokiarch wrote:

jokiarch,

It is precisely your contrarian conviction of using something other than a generic PC/notebook that you are most welcome to share your journey with the majority out there. As in most cases, those who truly excel are the ones who dare to read a different path and don't mind taking a few risks and U-turns. Having you will help us avoid those U-turns and fast-track to the desired audio destiny. The result of your demo at this year's KLIAV speaks well of what we can expect next week.

My task for the demo is to help hi-fi hobbyists get into CAS easily and is by no means conclusive, merely a path of little resistance. Yours is to take them higher up the poison-chain Smile
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:10 am

Jo,

Did you forget our earlier conversations and how I explained to you the kind of experiences we have with computers and interference inherent to general purpose computers, and how 'dirty' they generally are, including the USB interface itself. So even without DrWho, you are still definitely not alone, don't worry !

However, you will also need to be aware that there will always be the practical and pragmatic aspect of the approach, i.e. the easy availability of the laptop/notebook as most people already have one and thus it is logical to convert it as the music 'feeder' when one is just starting on the journey.

Take the Bryston BDP-1 that you have, or the MF CliC that elhefe uses, as you might remember our many conversations, specialty music servers like them are my personal preferred method for music server duties.

But they cost a hefty sum. If someone is to set out a budget for a 'hi-res' digital system, then say that person has RM15k to use for the moment, how would that sum be best used ? It can be split between a music server and a DAC, or, the whole sum can be channelled into a higher end DAC and for the moment, the notebook is converted to feed the DAC. This allows for a higher-end DAC to be purchased immediately and eventhough the notebook is inferior to the music server, for the same amount of outlay, it (notebook) feeding into a higher end DAC can return competitive sound to a specialty music server feeding into a cheaper DAC.

The logic of the approach then becomes that we 'make do' with a combination which returns quite a good sound and then in the future when we once again have budget, we can then invest in a dedicated music server to complete a proper system. And now without such a tight budget constraint, we can go for a server with has more function.

It is the trend to start to incorporate some of the networking features we have been using for a number of years in the commercial world, into consumer hifi music servers so the latest music servers incorporates the use of the notebook as the 'control console', controlling the functioning of the music server via a lan (wired or wireless) and various other UI functions, started by the BDP-1 and as I can clearly see it has become the trend in the just concluded KLAVS.

Both of us moderators are expected to be around at the event to lend our hand and I am contemplating if I should prepare a very short presentation on the basic principles of using the modern DAC. I would prefer not to touch on the term CAS because this term has been too misused by people so much so that we really see many often contradictory explanations even in the internet.

From my numerous years of experience teaching juniors, I find that the best approach is always to go back to the basics. To explain the whole concept using the basic principles. People generally are smart and able to think for themselves and so when they have the proper knowledge, without the confusing hype and techno-babbles (a popular term used in the commercial industry by consulting experts to describe the current trend in the modern I/T world - techno-babble is simply the overuse of acronyms and technical terms to describe a simple I/T concept which leads to total confusion of the layman), they will be able to make clear decisions for themselves.

When the admin and I were planning the event, we both agree that having you as one of the main presenters is one of the best thing that can happen because you offer a fresh perspective, that of a non IT savvy person, but you are a very skillful practitioner in your own area (architecture). So you offer a unique view into the digital world. I for one am fully confident that with you helping us, we will put up a great event. Our biggest problem now is actually that we have been a bit late in announcing the event so it is clear that some people are probably having some problems with their schedules.
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe on Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:02 am

Thats quite a good summary/request from WongKN.

There are many ways on how one would want to set up or start up their CAS (or maybe rename it to DAS Digital Audio System). And most of the time will be cost related. A guideline on how to split the budget on different components will help a lot of people.

I initially started with the basic laptop to amp via RCA but soon wanted wireless streaming and a way to control the music selection away from a PC.

Putting aside the cost of PC/laptop since I already own one, my initial budget was only RM2000. So, came in iPod Touch and Airport Express which is fed into a DAC.

As I go along and being introduced to higher res music, then I start to realise the above limitation. Plus my laptop started to give problem because its ON all the time. Also, Airport Express requires good wifi signal to avoid signal drops.

I then move to NAS (RM 600) but that just helped a little since my laptop still needs to be ON for Airport Express to work and I still cant play hi-res music.

Then, Apple introduced a firmware to their products so that we can stream directly from ipod, iphone and ipad to the airport express without having a laptop. Kudos to Steve Jobs. But again, what it does using wifi signal to transmit music from source to the wifi router then from the router to the airport express. Signal still drops.

I then retired the Airport Express to background music duties in the kitchen and dining room.

I then concentrated on USB connection, having to purchase an ARCAM rDAC with Asynch USB but also didnt find joy.

Thats when I literally drop the idea of having such set up and stick to the good old CDs. Until media players like Bryston and Naim came into the picture but as WongKN mentioned, I was put off by the price.

Only a few months ago, I came back into this when MF CLiC was launched which solved all my issues on connectivity, various music format, remote control and integration to my existing hifi set up.

The point I want to make is, concuring to WongKN, what is the best way to spend our hard earned money to get a good CAS? Will it be more on the computer, software, hardware, DAC, USB cable, NAS, hard disc or the streamer?

Ok now, off to breakfast roti kaya and half boil eggs.

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho on Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:52 am

This debate is not dissimilar with the vinyl versus CD. In the early stage of CD, the vinyl was king and probably still is except for some well setup CD systems. CAS is a very good value for money alternative and probably for the same value, CAS would be superior. There is no common platform for CAS, each manufacturer does his own way whereas for CD format, the many manufacturers are still coming out with special tweaks such as reclocking or external clock and special filters to enhance the CD performance. CAS is catching up very fast and will soon overtake CD in performance at the high end.
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:58 am

Regards,

Jo Ki

Hi Jo,

I truly believe that yr dedicated Bryston Media Player is better than the noisy laptops and mac minis but the problem lies in the fact that not everybody has such deep pockets like yourself or Dr Who.

Therefore I am in the different camp, even if I can achieve 80% of what my laptop can do against the excellent Bryston, I am happy.

My cost is Zero.....I am using the laptop which I use for work without having to come up with RM16,000 plus for a set of dedicated audio media player. And the best thing is that my software is always upgradeable and with different plugins for different sound to cater to different systems.

What I am trying to do in this forum is to introduce in a painless way (in terms of cost), excellent sounding source to replace CD players.

Not to compete against any dedicated audio media players.

Give it a chance, play proper files with a good USB cable and acsyn DAC and some minor adjustments to yr PC/laptop/mac minis or mac book. You might put off the purchase of another CD player.

Everyone who owns a laptop/mac can try. It is free (well, almost) with some good advise.

As usual, YMMV
VS126
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 640

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:17 pm

VS126,

Money is not the main issue here. It would be very difficult to find a CD player/transport about RM2k plus to beat a Mac Mini setup. And if you were to modify the Mac Mini power supply to a very good external one and use a SSD instead of the built in HDD, then you will have a formidable CAS system.
Admin is on the right track, introducing this fast becoming popular CAS system, showing its potentials and capabilities.
For by case, I have put in loads of effort to bring out as much capabilities from my DIY CD transport. A 24/196 Hires from my CAS is still unable to rival my RM4k plus DIY transport. Is is mainly in the implementation of a system that will determine the final audio quality, be it CAS or CD or vinyl.
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:00 pm

True Dr Who,

But to 95% of forumer here, to spend another RM10K plus for an unknown format is something one has to think about.

Why not throw it into well tested format like vinyl, maybe a clearaudio concept turntable for around RM5K and enjoy?

Further, not everyone here incl myself cld cough out RM16K for a Bryston Combo eventhough it sounds wonderful.

So, the next best option is to use what we already have and if done right, cld sound really wonderful.

So I hope this gathering is not about buying more equipments but for gathering knowledge on how to enjoy this wonderful hobby without having to dig deep into our pockets.

Cheers.
VS126

Character sheet
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:34 pm

To clarify for everyone.

This event is for the purpose of information and knowledge sharing. There will be a few sessions in the event, we have not confirmed how many. At the moment, confirmed is the admin's portion which will specially focus on the use of CAS. Jo will touch on the use of the specialty music server which he has found to return better sound quality. We are looking at the possibility of another person to do up a TT to offer a comparison point for digital versus analog (vinyl).

When we (admin & I) were working out the logistics with the sponsor host (CMY Sunway Giza), we purposely tried to arrange for DACs from different quality and price points so that attendees who might be enjoying different levels of hifi (from basic entry level to quite high-end) will find something to their levels of quality. Hopefully.

Both SJ & I are around but while we are expected to contribute, we have not decided what or whether to contribute or to just stand around Very Happy But from my experience with the session in Seremban, I am thinking of sharing again the myraid of options to feed music into a DAC.

Above all, there is no intention for this to be an 'experts' session as in, the event do not intend to tell attendees which is a best or even recommended option. It has always been planned to be a knowledge sharing session. Again the basic principle is that attendees are smart intelligent adults who knows how to evaluate and make their own judgement. So the intention is to arm them with the necessary knowledge of what is available and what is being done out there so that should they venture into digital, then they are not drowned in a tsunami of information.

We actually plan to do some enforcement, as in we intend to ensure the event stays its true path as much as we can.

Everyone is welcomed to attend and we hope everyone who are free on that day will attend. As long as you are eager to come experience and sample what we have tried our best to offer and also to meet and interact with fellow H4S forumers. Only requirement is for an open mind and friendly approach.
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:18 pm

At the moment, just a few days after the announcement, we can see that there are 11 respondents of which 7 confirms attendance, and 2 each are either unable to come or still working out the arrangements. I am happy to see at least a reasonable level of interest. With 4 or maybe 5 organisers for the event, it would be embarassing if there are more organisers than attendees ! Laughing

As the event comes closer, I hope more will be interested and will be able to attend. In the meantime, we thank those who have showed an interest for your support of H4S. Even if you are unable to come, the fact that you have showed support makes all the difference !!
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:38 pm

[quote="Hi-Fi 4 Sale"] WongKN.

What's in store?
Simple MacMini setup - running iTunes in both Apple OSX Snow Leopard & Windows 7 (via Boot Camp)
connected to Brik Audio DAC, Cambridge Audio DACMagic II & Wadia 381i CD player/DAC in sequence
Adding BitPerfect into the picture
Sound check by comparing CAS/Wadia 381i with Wadia 381i CD playback

Then, for those who want more, we take things a little further with the special appearance of our wonderful guest, Jo Ki, who will be connecting his preferred media player to the same Wadia 381i and show what a little more effort, trial and error, experience, discipline & dough can do to improve sound quality.
.[/quote

To the organiser,

Thank you for organising the get together in order to educate and share on the capability of different formats.

One thing the organiser should point out to attendees is that all the three DACs namely BRIK AUDIO (only does up to 48kHz), Dac Magic (only does up to 96kHz) and the Wadia 381i (only does up to 96kHz) thru its' USB port and all three are not ascyn dacs. (24/192 thru spdif and AES)

What this means is that when you plug the Bryston Media Player using SPDIF or AES Balanced cable into a Wadia or DacMagic using 24/194 native file, it actually plays NATIVE 24/192.

But if you use the laptop/Mac computer into the Wadia thru USB, using the same native 24/192 file, it will downsampled to 24/96 for both the Wadia and DacMagic and 48kHz for the Brik Audio DAC.

So it will not be fair comparision.

Like wise, a lot of people use Bryston Media player (using SPDIF or AES)to compare against laptop (using USB cable) as transport into the Bryston DAC. All native 24/192 files will be downsampled to 24/96 for the USB laptop whereas the Bryston Media Player/Bryston DAC will maintain Native 24/192 because the Bryston is only capable up to 24/96 in USB input but 24/192 in spdif/aes input.

Here again consumer are made to believe that the Bryston media player is so much better but little do they know that the file resolution are different.

My suggestion for the organiser is to get an ascyn 24/192 capable USB/spdif/aes DAC like AYRE, WYRED, WAVELENGTH, WEISS (but firewire) etc. in order to have a better idea of the capability of different transports.

Then again, YMMV.

Last edited by VS126 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee on Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:00 pm

Thanks VS126,

This is invaluable information that sifus and fellow forummers like you should disseminate I.e, should participate in this event and I hope to see you there. Very Happy

Thanks
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks Bro ZB,

I am no sifus and am still learning.

I am sure the organisers are more than capable.

But I always speak out if there is a Right to a Wrong, to forummer or moderator, no fear or favour (maybe that's why I got myself a -3 repu).

The selection of DACs has to be corrected to be fair to those attending the gathering.

You can't tell a group of people attending that "Now we are playing 24/192 version" but in fact it is 24/96 or worst still 24/48 thru BRIK AUDIO.

BTW, will the organiser be using highend digital cable against RM7.20 USB cable?

Cheers
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:50 pm

The discussion is so much interesting even before the event !!!

Cant wait for the event. Although I do hope there will be some sort of control on what to be presented and discussed. As we can see from this thread, there is already a healthy list of topics that can be discussed on CAS. From set ups, budget, formats and even which media streamer to use. So 4 hours will not be enough Smile

The 2 'taboo' beliefs that I hope this event (and future events) can stand clear off:

1. High price = superior SQ
2. Famous brand = superior SQ

Bryston is not the one and only ultimate streamer/DAC nor is any other brands. What needs to be focussed at is meeting what the requirements of the user are. And there are many ways and set ups to do that and at different price tag. Though so many people long for expensive kit, there are still majority of people who thinks and feel that Brik AUDIO is sufficient for their music satisfaction.

At the end of the day, its Your Money, You Decide. But behind that saying, it should also say - Your Ears, You Decide.

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Vs126,

I would really like to hear and discuss with you on your choice of using laptop/PC over usage of a NAS. As mention in my previous post, I faced too many frustrated dead ends with using computers and opted for NAS and a streamer now.

1. Laptop crashes
2. Signal drops using wifi
3. Even with Asynch USB, its not rewarding.

With NAS and streamer, no playing around with settings nor upsampling on native hi-res files and very seldom my NAS crashes.

And for NAS users, I also would like to know which model is the most stable.

VS126 wrote:

My cost is Zero.....I am using the laptop which I use for work without having to come up with RM16,000 plus for a set of dedicated audio media player. And the best thing is that my software is always upgradeable and with different plugins for different sound to cater to different systems.

Give it a chance, play proper files with a good USB cable and acsyn DAC and some minor adjustments to yr PC/laptop/mac minis or mac book. You might put off the purchase of another CD player.

Everyone who owns a laptop/mac can try. It is free (well, almost) with some good advise.

As usual, YMMV

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:23 pm

i am now testing a w4s dac-2 with windows-based laptop using j river v 16.

i am now of the view that with the new gen of 24/192 capable usb async dac and the latest version of j river (for windows-based laptops; amarra for itunes), computer-based music systems have come of age and are better than cd players.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam on Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:24 pm

vs126 wrote:

the Bryston is only capable up to 24/96 in USB input

the bryston dac's usb input accepts only 16/48.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN on Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:59 pm

Ok, let's clarify a bit here.

The choice of DACs was constrained by what is currently available at the CMY Sunway Giza shop. However, they are not meant to be comprehensive in selection, nor meant to be illustrative of what is the best available out there. From the choices available, the Brik was selected because it is very affordable and again it has been unanimously agreed that not everyone will have a lot of money to 'throw' when investing in a digital system, so the affordable price of the Brik is attractive enough that it is useful as a demo.

But it is good that this is brought up. To everyone who has commented on the choice of DACs, we would like to ask for you to contribute by bringing your choice of DACs to the event so that the attendees can benefit from exposure to a wider range of DACs. So to VS126, why not you bring your W4S over the event and let us experience it ? And to the many who have posted in the Lampizator thread, bring it over so we can experience the greatness that we have read about. Anyone with a Weiss ?

Remember, the event is for sharing. As organizers, we work with the resources we have available. But if forumers are willing to chip in, all the better because the resources available to us opens up a lot. In fact, why not bring over another notebook or macbook which has been done according to latest accepted best practise, for everyone to experience ?

VS126, about your -3 reputation, my personal recommendation is not to get too worked up about it. Even the mighty JoKi himself has gotten negative reputation before. Personally as a moderator, I do not participate in this giving of reputation so I can't help you with yours. Except with the recommendation that - and be open minded that this is not trying to say anything about you personally - if you really endeavour to share openly and if you do it with a reconcilliatory approach, then I am sure people will appreciate. Also be aware that the original intention of the reputation rating is more for sellers rating, something akin to eBay.
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:04 am

[quote="WongKN"]

VS126, about your -3 reputation, my personal recommendation is not to get too worked up about it.

Oh, I am not worried about it. I am just abit outspoken so some might not be able to take it.
You know, someone got to get the facts right for everyone's benefit.
We do not want the blind leading the blind here.
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:12 am

elhefe wrote:Vs126,

I would really like to hear and discuss with you on your choice of using laptop/PC over usage of a NAS. As mention in my previous post, I faced too many frustrated dead ends with using computers and opted for NAS and a streamer now.

Can, PM me and I will share with you all variables.
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:13 am

sflam wrote:
vs126 wrote:

No wonder.....
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:34 am

VS126 wrote:
Hi Jo,

I truly believe that yr dedicated Bryston Media Player is better than the noisy laptops and mac minis but the problem lies in the fact that not everybody has such deep pockets like yourself or Dr Who.

Therefore I am in the different camp, even if I can achieve 80% of what my laptop can do against the excellent Bryston, I am happy.

What I am trying to do in this forum is to introduce in a painless way (in terms of cost), excellent sounding source to replace CD players.

Not to compete against any dedicated audio media players.

As usual, YMMV
Hi VS126,

I appreciate your clarifications, and I can understand your approach using laptop/computer for HiRes music using existing computer machine in hand. I am not against anyone who opt for this option but, and this goes to others also, we must bear in mind that, as such, we are not listening to expected potential of it. Like what you said, at 80% of it without any capital outlay, it is bang for the buck! Its no brainer!

What is daunting forthwith comes in the perception of those who do not disregard the remaining 20% potential of this format garnered using a proper player, be it Bryston, Naim, MF, LINN, Bradelius... are immaterial here. At the end of the day is whether we remembered what has gone passed us and we walk-on with a skewed perception on HiRes.

I am very much in favour of HiRes CAS with underlying intend of enjoying more, and hopefully, better music. AND if my laptop could do music as good as my Bryston BDP-1, I would be most happy with extra budget buying more softwares!

My intention of participating in this event is mainly to share what I learned. It is not a shoot-out between laptop & BDP-1. Exactly as said by you, the USB cable from laptop and AES/EBU from my BDP-1, what they can and cannot handle further reinforced my argument on using proper equipment for HiRes 24/192 is inevitable. Don't you agree?

What is important for the event is the pool of knowledge sharing opportunity as aptly mentioned by HF4S.

Jo Ki
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:42 am

sflam wrote:
vs126 wrote:

Personally, I would term this to be the wise move of James Tanner from Bryston; I would not be prepared to accept USB input for HiRes music.. this mode of connection is simply not up to the task. Further, there is already AES/EBU 110ohm and SPiF input as they are much better input options comparatively....
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:56 am

[quote="jokiarch"]
wrote:
Exactly as said by you, the USB cable from laptop and AES/EBU from my BDP-1, what they can and cannot handle further reinforced my argument on using proper equipment for HiRes 24/192 is inevitable. Don't you agree?

Jo Ki

Actually what I am trying to say between the line is that Bryston cannot do HIRez for USB unlike some other NEWER GENERATION DACs.
Infact, newer generation USB can do higher resolution than SPDIF/AES like the M2Tech's Young 32/384 and Antelope's Zodiac 32/384.
These higher resolution cannot be achieved thru AES/EBU cable.
And these are only USB 2.
See what they can come up with high speed USB 3.
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:18 am

jokiarch wrote:
sflam wrote:
vs126 wrote:

Personally, I would term this to be the wise move of James Tanner from Bryston; I would not be prepared to accept USB input for HiRes music.. this mode of connection is simply not up to the task. Further, there is already AES/EBU 110ohm and SPiF input as they are much better input options comparatively....

Frankly, it is all economics.

I was told.....

Auraliti to design the media player, stick the Brysten Badge and increase the price 2.5 times.
Not willing to pay for the license for ascyn 24/192 USB technology so ended up with USB 1 input which only does 16/48.
I have to admit, still an excellent player thru it's AES output but pay thru the nose.

Last edited by VS126 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:23 am

I think we have gone through this discussion before, about the different protocols as used by most consumer level DAC. It is important to understand that all of the common connections; SPDIF, XLR, BNC, and even USB are serial and asynchronous. In the I/T world, asynchronous is 2nd choice always to synchronous for ensuring the accuracy in transmission and also transmission speed capability. This is the reason why the commercial music companies like Sony, etc chose to implement HDMI and HDMI is synchronous (19 pins with pins 10-12 for the clock as well as pin 15 for the DDC clock). And they adopt HDMI for HD transmission, and Sony for DSD (SACD) transmission. It is important to bear in mind that the USB protocol was designed for connection of peripheral devices to a computer, not strictly for data transmission, unlike say the ethernet or HDMI standards.

For the coming event, I personally will not want to indulge too deep into all these connections, just to cover that they are available and how they are being used.

More importantly, since this discussion has been brought so deep, I really want an answer on whether we will be able to get more DACs for the event. W4S, Lampizator, Zodiac, etc. Anyone ? I hope we don't just end up discussing only in this thread. An opportunity to also experience would be invaluable. JoKi has already led the way by graciously giving us the chance to experience what he believes to be the preferred method for music server, by bringing his BDP-1 to the event. I hope others will be as generous as well.
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:59 am

WongKN wrote: In the I/T world, asynchronous is 2nd choice always to synchronous for ensuring the accuracy in transmission and also transmission speed capability. This is the reason why the commercial music companies like Sony, etc chose to implement HDMI and HDMI is synchronous (19 pins with pins 10-12 for the clock as well as pin 15 for the DDC clock). And they adopt HDMI for HD transmission, and Sony for DSD (SACD) transmission.

Not entirely true. it depends on application and environment.
Ethernet is Asynchronous and its the DE-FACTO standard today for not only in-building connections, but also for Wide area networks. Eg, Metro_ethernet over Single Mode Optical covering wide geographical areas. Telcos are shifting away from the legacy SDH (synchronous digital hierarchy) optical systems in favour of Metro-Ethernet already.

The reason why some consumer hifi electronics do not use Async-USB is because of the product development effort required to go to market with such an implementation. The audio equipment mfg either needs to license it from some patent holder (ie Wavelength Audio), or build their own (for example, which is what DCS & a few others did).

The modern Wadia's USB feature is another one such device that is limited by the OEM board that Wadia sources from. It can only do 44.1, 48 & 96KHz. But not 88.2 or >96KHz due to the OEM USB interface mfg's design. And its also not async, from the literature provided as well.

WongKN wrote:
It is important to bear in mind that the USB protocol was designed for
connection of peripheral devices to a computer, not strictly for data
transmission, unlike say the ethernet or HDMI standards.
That's kind of a self-contradictory statement there...
Isn't data being sent back and forth between a portable HDD and a PC a
typical case of "data transmission" also? Last i checked, A PC does indeed
read and write to an external USB HDD...

Besides, its perfectly fine to use USB or Firewire for 24/192 material.... the Pro-audio guys use it all the time for recording. Apogee Duet-II uses USB. dCS 907 & Weiss ADC2 uses Firewire. IMO, if its good enough for them, it sure is more than good enough for the "audiophile" on the receiving end. Since when did consumer audio playback equipment dictated the standards over Pro-Studio equipment ? Even SPDIF & AES/EBU were born from the Pro-Studio environment; lest we forget.

Last edited by mugenfoo on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:31 am; edited 3 times in total
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:07 am

MF
His info a bit dated lah.
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:26 am

WongKN,

I would offer my M1 DAC and CLiC but if the main connection for showcasing the CAS is via USB, then I give it a pass as the USB on these units are limited to 48kHz.

Only coaxial, AES, and network are up to 192 and optical up to 96. Do PM if you would still want me to bring them.

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:42 am

VS126 wrote:

Actually what I am trying to say between the line is that Bryston cannot do HIRez for USB unlike some other NEWER GENERATION DACs.
Infact, newer generation USB can do higher resolution than SPDIF/AES like the M2Tech's Young 32/384 and Antelope's Zodiac 32/384.
These higher resolution cannot be achieved thru AES/EBU cable.
And these are only USB 2.
See what they can come up with high speed USB 3.
Well, I can appreciate what you are saying VS126. Again, read my first post on this subject matter, whatever the astute technology at 32/384, 64/768, first, there must have softwares for me; second, it plays Music that sounds like a music. That is all that I am concerned with.

What is the point of looking at the current available technology and thinking of the impending higher spec-ed ones? I had been sitting on the fence for a few years for this digital music to become reasonably mature enough for me to jump-in. I have my Macbook, and it hardly ever been used to stream music, why? Mind you, it is at no cost to me to do that (to pick your lines). I did not do it because my CD player sounded better. Not about different format.

I am simply saying a higher bit rate digital music puts higher demands on the hardwares, not lower. It is not about how deep my pocket is. This is about CAS and it does not sanction how rich the consumers are.

I accept your approach and I am not against those who use laptop to stream HiRes either. Please do as the more of us using, the more the manufacturers could sustain the R&D for better things to come tomorrow. We are together inside the same boat. If it sinks, I sink faster with heavier Bryston on my laps. I loose more with costlier investment. But I hope to sink with a smile on my face... with music singing in my head.

Jo Ki
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:59 am

elhefe wrote:WongKN,

I would offer my M1 DAC and CLiC but if the main connection for showcasing the CAS is via USB, then I give it a pass as the USB on these units are limited to 48kHz.

Only coaxial, AES, and network are up to 192 and optical up to 96. Do PM if you would still want me to bring them.
I can bring my Bryston BDA-1 which can do up to 192 if WongKN agree this would not be seen unfriendly to crowd so many foreign products into CMY. Already, bringing in my digital music player to CMY makes me rather cautious because the company has been good to me for decades which explained why I carry it inside a recycle bag from supermarket Shocked !

But do we have time for all these? I thought this is going to be a simple sharing event.

And I am not taking my Bryston there to show how good they are, as I have already explained to HF4S and did my trial run yesterday, I am merely wanted to show the sensitivity of digital source and its vulnerability to external induced interference.

If this is to be a shoot-out, please count me out! As I am not prepared to risk mis-representing the products that I am using, be it just a piece of thumbdrive or USB cable....

Please state it clearly HF4S, the purpose of this event. I am in only for the understanding of digital music file/CAS, not about equipment comparison. I will leave this shoot-out to you lots who are more capable.

Jo Ki
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:04 am

I thought someone owns a Debussy? Suspect
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Jo Ki is right. It is not appropriate to have a shoot out at CMY specially using a competitor's product which will most probably turn out as the clear winner by virtue of others not being in the same league. Shoot out should not be carried in a public event unless dealers of the all the products are present to protect their interest and criterion setup before hand. Let us just enjoy this event rather getting stressed over trivial matters.
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:11 pm

jokiarch wrote:
elhefe wrote:WongKN,

I can bring my Bryston BDA-1 which can do up to 192 if WongKN agree this would not be seen unfriendly to crowd so many foreign products into CMY. Already, bringing in my digital music player to CMY makes me rather cautious because the company has been good to me for decades which explained why I carry it inside a recycle bag from supermarket Shocked !

But do we have time for all these? I thought this is going to be a simple sharing event.

And I am not taking my Bryston there to show how good they are, as I have already explained to HF4S and did my trial run yesterday, I am merely wanted to show the sensitivity of digital source and its vulnerability to external induced interference.

If this is to be a shoot-out, please count me out! As I am not prepared to risk mis-representing the products that I am using, be it just a piece of thumbdrive or USB cable....

Please state it clearly HF4S, the purpose of this event. I am in only for the understanding of digital music file/CAS, not about equipment comparison. I will leave this shoot-out to you lots who are more capable.

Jo Ki

Jo Ki & DrWho,

Both of you are absolutely right, this is NOT a shootout, and was never intended to be as such.

All,

Within the confines of time, availability of equipment and clarity of purpose, the stage has been set for showing a simple way of getting started on CAS (Part 1, me) and then providing an avenue for those willing to dig deeper & maximise performance in certain areas (Part 2, Jo Ki).

This is only the beginning. The full breadth & possibilities of CAS cannot be comprehended in a day, just like other fields of interest. We can always have other gatherings to explore other areas, with different people sharing new things. Hence, the agenda is set for next Sat.

DACs are...well, DACs. They are the latter half of the equation of the digital front-end. The moment digital data enters a DAC, the only variables you can control are the digital filter settings and output levels, and that is only if that particular DAC has these features. What is really key is the data source itself, be it the normal CD transport, PC/notebook, media server and what/how it interfaces with the DAC. Jo & I are attempting to show different ways of interfacing with these DACs and the resultant sound quality differences with approach, time, effort, discipline, compromises & cost. So, it really isn't a DAC shootout at all.

BTW, the Wadia's USB goes to 96kHz. http://www.wadia.com/products/decoding/381i/specifications.php

The only other possibility we would consider is if you have a notebook as a source and are keen to find out how it sounds compared to our MacMini as a baseline, with all other variables including the Wadia 381i as a constant, bring it along. We can do a couple of minutes' plug & play time.
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:42 pm

OK Admin, thanks for putting our officially agreed decision on this thread. With this clarification, can we now move on with the main objective of this thread and which is about the event. All talks about other DACs should now be moved off this thread as we need to focus on this thread itself.

MF, I was intentionally being superficial about the USB and others. To get a point across.

VS126, how best can I put this ? The things in I/T I have seen and dealt with, frankly and bluntly you have not seen and will never see or even get to hear about. So you can talk about the things you want but do so within your constraints and know your limits. There is a reason why when you share you get negative feedback but when others share, they get positive. There are good lessons to be learned from thinking about it, assuming you want to learn.

We now have 10 confirmed attendees with 5 arranging their schedule to attend. Thanks for the interest and the support.

We (admin, myself and JoKi) will now sit down to solidify and firm up the details of the event. THE OBJECTIVE IS NOW FIRMED UP so only the actual agenda and other details still needs to be worked out. Stay tuned for more updates here.

Note : we may move some of the posts here to another thread to let us focus on the event proper.
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi-Fi 4 Sale wrote:
Within the confines of time, availability of equipment and clarity of purpose, the stage has been set for showing a simple way of getting started on CAS (Part 1, me) and then providing an avenue for those willing to dig deeper & maximise performance in certain areas (Part 2, Jo Ki).

I think that clears up everything on the agenda of the event. Its not about which rig is better nor too much mumbo jumbo of digital resolution. and focus more on setting up basic CAS and a thing or two on how to have even better SQ.

On that ground, DAC will not be the main feature which I agree, this is the part that each one have its own preference.

NOTE: my offer to bring mine is merely to respond WongKN request (twice) which I thought have already been discussed and agreed between him, mods, organisers and host.

Its a pity I will miss Part 1 by H4S.

Suggestion:

Can we have someone to cover and summarise the event and share it on this forum. Although, it need not be discussed and debated, more just to let everyone know what was the info shared on that day.

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum